Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
RV - AWO eyes of the two RV Gypsies
den sign for the two RV gypsies return to the home page of the two RV Gypsies
how Karen & Lee Duquette became two RV Gypsies
e-mail the two RV Gypsies please sign the guestbook of the two RV Gypsies go to webpage built by Karen plus other RV pages helpful information for RVers
sign: home of the two RV Gypsies
learn about Brian Lee Duquette
go to the page that will explain the different photo buttons on this website
photos/history of continental USA by the two RV Gypsies photos/history in Canada from the two RV Gypsies photos/history Alaska from the two RV Gypsies find out what's new on this website
Table of Content for the two RV Gypsies' website
Fort Clinch aerial view
Fort Clinch State Park
Fernandina Beach, Florida

and Amelia Island Lighthouse - May 23, 2010

The entry to Fort Clinch State Park and the road leading to Fort Clinch. A glimpse of Amelia Island Lighthouse can also be seen from a viewing area along this road.
entrance to Fort Clinch State Park road within Fort Clinch State Park
history bookFort Clinch is a 19th century brick fortress begun in 1847 after the end of the Second Seminole War. It was named in honor of General Duncan Lamont Clinch, important figure in the First and Second Seminole Wars. The only battle to occur at Clinch was when Union troops recaptured the fort in 1862 after Confederate forces seized control the previous year. Fort Clinch served as the base of Union operations in the area throughout the Civil War.

In 1935, the State of Florida bought 256 acres that included the then-abandoned fort and the surrounding area. Fort Clinch State Park including the fort, opened to the public in 1938.

first view of the fort the drawbridge to the fort
Standing on the drawbridge outside the fort, looking left and then looking right.
left of the drawbridge right of the drawbridge
After crossing the drawbridge and passing the big doors that would seal off the fort, the two RV Gypsies went through an amazing brick tunnel with a curved roof .
tunnel entry curved brick roof
Karen Duquette went to the cannon and prepared to take a photo of Lee as he entered the fort.
Karen Duquette by the cannon
Karen Duquette photographing Lee
Below are the photos Karen took of Lee, as he took the above photos of her. Great aim, Karen!
The cannon pointing at Lee The cannon pointing at Lee
The two RV Gypsies got their first look around the courtyard of the fort.
the courtyard of the fort the courtyard of the fort
Below: A closer look at a doorway and stairs shown in the above photos
a closer look at a doorway and stairs
part of Fort Clinch part of Fort Clinch
part of Fort Clinch part of Fort Clinch
The two RV Gypsies by cannons overlooking Cumberland Sound
Karen by cannons overlooking Cumberland Sound The two RV Gypsies by cannons overlooking Cumberland Sound
view from the cannons as they aim out at Cumberland Sound
view from the cannons as they aim out at Cumberland Sound view from the cannons as they aim out at Cumberland Sound
part of Fort Clinch part of Fort Clinch
stairs down
Lee Duquette
view looking out the porthole shown above
view looking out the porthole shown above
After descending the stairs shown above, the two RV Gypsies entered a building and went up some stairs for a view of Cumberland Sound.
a building at the fort
Karen Duquette on the stairs
views from the top
view at the top view at the top
looking through a porthole at
Cumberland Sound
 
looking through a porthole at Cumberland Sound
Karen Duquette
Cumberland Sound
Cumberland Sound
Cumberland Sound
The Amelia Island Lighthouse
clipart of a History BookThe Amelia Island Lighthouse is located on the north end of Amelia Island at the mouth of the St. Mary's River. It was built in 1838 using materials taken from the former Cumberland Island lighthouse in Georgia. The Cumberland Island lighthouse had been built in 1820. The lighthouse marks the entrance to Nassau Sound and the harbor for Fernandina Beach, Florida.

The lighthouse was originally equipped with 14 lamps each with a 14-inch reflector. The reflector size was increased to 15 inches by 1848. This arrangement was replaced by a third-order Fresnel lens in 1903, which is still used in the lighthouse.

The original tower, moved from Cumberland Island, Georgia was 50 foot tall, placed on a hill. In 1881 a lantern was installed on the tower, increasing the tower height to 64 feet, with the focal plane of the light 107 feet above see level.

The next-to-last civilian keeper of the Amelia Island lighthouse was Thomas J. O'Hagan, who was the son of the previous keeper, Thomas P. O'Hagan, and was married to a direct descendant of the first keeper, Amos Latham.

The lighthouse was transferred from the United States Coast Guard to the City of Fernandina Beach in 2001.

sign - Amelia Island lighthouse
Amelia Island lighthouse
 
look below
Menu
for the Sea Islands and surrounding areas (May 2010)
You may visit these ten (10) sites in any order you choose
.
The page you are on is grayed out, and therefore can not be chosen from here.
Jekyll Island, Georgia
Jekyll Island Waterpark
St. Simons Island, Georgia
St. Simons Lighthouse
Fort Frederica
Segway tour of Savannah, Georgia
wildlife - birds and squirrels
Amelia Island, Florida & the tallest dunes in Florida
Burney Park
Fort Clinch & Amelia Island Lighthouse
look below

gotothe next adventure of the two RV GypsiesAfter you have visited all ten (10) sections above, please continue on to the next adventure of the two RV Gypsies - Okefenokee Swamp and alligators