Terminal Station in Chattanooga, Tennessee is a former railroad station once owned and operated by the Southern Railway and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Chattanooga Choo-Choo is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
The station was opened in 1909 and was the latest and largest station in Chattanooga's history. The original Chattanooga Union Station, built in 1858, (demolished in 1973) was outgrown by the rapid expansion in the railroad network serving Chattanooga. A second station, built in 1882, was outgrown in only six years. In 1888, an old freight depot was converted to a passenger facility, while three other depots handled commercial and industrial traffic.
American railroad passenger traffic declined in the 1950s and 1960s, and the last passenger train to serve the station, the Birmingham Special, left Terminal Station in 1970. In 1972, local businessmen bought the building, renamed it the Chattanooga Choo-Choo after the song, and began rehabilitating the building. The 24-acre complex is a convention center, hotel and resort with restaurants and shops. Hotel guests can stay in half of a restored passenger railway car. Dining at the complex includes the Gardens restaurant in the Terminal Station itself (enclosed passenger loading platform), The Station House (which is housed in a former baggage storage, but on original building plans is designated as "Mail Sorting Facility") and the "Dinner in the Diner" which is the complex's fine dining venue, housed in a restored 1938 Class A dining car.