Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
RV - AWO eyes of the two RV Gypsies
den sign for the two RV gypsies return to the home page of the two RV Gypsies
learn how Lee and Karen Duquette became two RV Gypsies
e-mail the two RV Gypsies
Please sign the Guestbook of the Two RV Gypsies. Thanks. visit pages of other RVers helpful and important information for RVers sign for the two RV Gypsies' RV site
Learn about the life of Brian Duquette and his tragedy that destroyed the two RV Gypsies forever
index to the photos on this website
explore the photos and adventures of the two RV Gypsies in the continental USA
see the photos the two RV Gypsies took during their travels in Canada see photos by the two RV Gypsies as they travelled in Alaska find out what's new on this website
get help from the Table of Contents for this website
Parke County Covered Bridge driving tour
page 2 of 2
September 4-6, 2013

While driving around Parke County looking at covered bridges, the two RV Gypsies took a few other photos.

horse=drawn wagon on the road
horse=drawn wagon on the road

The Marshall Arch

Anyone know what these red flowers are called? If so, e-mail the two RV Gypsies.

The Marshall Arch
flowers
red divider bar

Cox Ford Covered Bridge crosses Sugar Creek, located at the west edge of Turkey Run State Park in Parke County. This single span Burr Truss structure has a length of 176 feet, or 192 feet including the 8-foot overhang at each end. It is 16 feet wide and 13 feet high. Built in 1913 by Joseph A. Britton, the Cox Ford Covered Bridge has a rather unique distinction as it was built to replace a steel bridge that was lost in the 1913 flood; the arches used in construction were from a bridge built 60 years before which also washed out in the 1913 flood; during the depression she received a new coat of paint applied by a W.P.A. group. Though no historical marker is present, the Cox Ford Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Cox Ford Covered Bridge is listed in the 1989 "World Guide to Covered Bridges," published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-34; however, the designation used by Parke County officials is #14-61-36.

Above quote from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/parke/coxford.htm
Turkey Run State Park sign
the Cox Ford Covered Bridge
the Cox Ford Covered Bridge
the Cox Ford Covered Bridge

The two RV Gypsies drove through Cox Ford Covered Bridge.

The two RV Gypsies drive through Cox Ford Covered Bridge.

This part of the covered bridge tour, as well as several other sections, was on a two-way dirt road that was very narrow. The two RV Gypsies were glad that they did not meet another car while on this road. They can only imagine this road with cars coming and going in both directions during the Covered Bridge Festival each year. The two RV Gypsies are thankful to be here before the festival.

a two-way dirt road that is very  narrow
a two-way dirt road that is very  narrow
red divider bar

Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge crosses Sugar Creek just northwest of Turkey Run State Park near US 41 in Parke County. This single span Burr Arch Truss structure has a length of 102 feet, or 120 feet including the 9-foot overhang at each end. It is 16 feet wide and 13 feet high. It was built in 1906 by William Hendricks. Though no historical marker is present, the Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge is listed in the 1989 "World Guide to Covered Bridges," published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-35; Parke County officials use the same designation.

Above quote from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/parke/wilkensmill.htm
Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge
Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge sign

The two RV Gypsies drove through the Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge, and Karen took another photo of the bridge.

driving through Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge
Wilkins Mill Covered Bridge
red divider bar

The Jackson Covered Bridge is the longest single span covered bridge in Indiana. Jackson Covered Bridge, also known as the Rockport Covered Bridge, crosses Sugar Creek just northwest of Bloomingdale on County Road North 50 West in Parke County. This single span Double Burr Arch Truss structure (double meaning that there are two arches, one atop the other on each side) is the longest single span covered bridge in Indiana (also the longest single span in the United States open to daily use) having a length of 207 feet, or 225 feet including the 9-foot overhang at each end, with portals that are 16 feet wide by 18 feet high; the unusual height is proportional to the unusual length of the bridge as the arches actually have to peak high up in the crown. Built in 1861 by Joseph J. Daniels, who dedicated the structure to Andrew Jackson. Though no historical marker is present, the Jackson Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and is listed in the 1989 "World Guide to Covered Bridges," published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-28; Parke County officials use the same designation.

It is said that Daniels inspected and tightened all the bolts in 1863; it was renovated after the 1913 flood and again in 1977. In 2007, there was a total restoration of the Jackson Covered Bridge that required actually removing it from the river.

Above quote from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/parke/jackson.htm
The Jackson Covered Bridge
The two RV Gypsies driving through The Jackson Covered Bridge

After driving through the Jackson Covered Bridge, Karen took a photo from the other side of the bridge.

The Jackson Covered Bridge

Then the two RV Gypsies took a short walk to photograph the side of the bridge.

Lee Duquette and The Jackson Covered Bridge
The Jackson Covered Bridge
red divider bar

The West Union Covered Bridge crosses Sugar Creek beside County Road 525 in Parke County. This double span Burr Arch Truss structure has a length of 315 feet, or 334 feet including the 9-foot 6-inch overhang at each end. It is 17 feet wide and 14 feet 6 inches high. It was built in 1876 by Joseph J. Daniels. The road bypassed the West Union Covered Bridge in 1964, and though no historical marker is present, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. West Union Covered Bridge is listed in the 1989 "World Guide to Covered Bridges," published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-27; however, the designation used by Parke County officials is #14-61-26.

Above quote from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/parke/westunion.htm
The West Union Covered Bridge
The West Union Covered Bridge

The two RV Gypsies think this was the most interesting covered bridge on this tour, besides the Bridgeton Covered Bridge of course. They noticed how the roof and the floor of the bridge appeared to be crooked.

Lee Duquette walking through The West Union Covered Bridge

View of Sugar Creek from a window on each side of The West Union Covered Bridge.

view of Sugar Creek from The West Union Covered Bridge
view of Sugar Creek from The West Union Covered Bridge

On the back side of the bridge, the two RV Gypsies saw a really large beehive at the top of the bridge. All the little black marks shown on the bridge are bees.

a really large beehive
a really large beehive and bees
 

Not sure what is engraved on this wall.

The West Union Covered Bridge
Not sure what is engraved on this wall.

Looking out from the bridge, the two RV Gypsies were greeted with the site of a corn field.

 

The road that runs alongside
the covered bridge.

corn field
adjacent road to The West Union Covered Bridge
The West Union Covered Bridge
red divider bar

The Melcher Covered Bridge also known as the Klondyke Covered Bridge, crosses Leatherwood Creek on County Road 160 North in Parke County. This single span Burr Arch Truss structure has a length of 83 feet, or 97 feet including the 7-foot overhang at each end. It is 16 feet wide and 12 feet 6 inches high. It was built in 1896 by Joseph J. Daniels. A restoration of the structure was completed in 1995 and it was listed on the Register of Historic Places in 1978. Melcher Covered Bridge is listed in the 1989 "World Guide to Covered Bridges," published by The National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Inc., as #14-61-26; however, the designation used by Parke County officials is #14-61-24.

Above quote from http://www.countyhistory.com/coveredbridge/parke/melcher.htm
The Melcher Covered Bridge
The Melcher Covered Bridge
look below
Menu for the two RV Gypsies in Indiana, 2013
You may visit these four (4) sites in any order you choose.
There is also a link to Ohio below.

bullet Indiana's most famous covered bridge

bullet more Covered Bridges in Parke County, IN

bullet Thousand Trails campground

bullet Kayaking Sugar Valley

look below

continue on to the next adventure of the two RV Gypsies AFTER you have enjoyed all four sites above, please continue on to Ohio, the Big Twig Maze Sculpture Thing, the Carillon Bell Tower, Cedar Point Amusement Park, Cuyahoga NP, and more.