Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
RV - AWO eyes of the two RV Gypsies
den sign for the two RV gypsies return to the home page of the two RV Gypsies
History of the two RV Gypsies
e-mail the two RV Gypsies Please sign the Guestbook of the Two RV Gypsies. Thanks. links to other full-time RV sites and more helpful and important information for RVers
sign for the two RV Gypsies motorhome
Learn about Brian Lee Duquette
index to the photos on this website
see  travel photos of the two RV Gypsies in the continental USA see the photos the two RV Gypsies took during their travels in Canada see photos by the two RV Gypsies as they travelled in Alaska find out what's new on this website
go to the table of contents for this website
Erie Canal Locks Lockport, NY
USA map showing location of New York
map of NY and Lockport
The two RV Gypsies and their grandson experienced a 2-hour cruise including "locking through" and being raised the 49 foot elevation of the Niagara Escarpment (the same one that creates Niagara Falls) in the only double set of locks on the Erie Canal. The boat passed under bridges that raised straight up, and water cascaded over Lockport's famous "Flight of Five" 1840's locks, and traveled through the solid walls of the "rock cut"

Note: There is a movie of the Erie Canal Locks that can be reached through the TOC button above.

clipart of a History BookMuch remains the same on the Erie Canal today as it was in the 1800's. Hand-dug to connect the Hudson River with the Niagara River, the 363-mile Grand Old Erie Canal is truly a great engineering feat. Originally, 83 stone locks overcame the 571-foot difference in the level between the rivers. Enlarged in the early 1900's, now 35 locks allow larger vessels to travel across New York State.

Erie Canal in Lockport

Karen Duquette and Alex on the Erie Canal
Karen Duquette and Alex on the Erie Canal
The two RV Gypsies on the Erie Canal
the grandson of the two RV Gypsies on the Erie Canal
 view of Erie Canal
view of Erie Canal 
 buildings on the Erie Canal

history book clipartThe Big Bridge - brief history quoted from http://lockportjournal.com/canaldiscovery/x212285501/CANAL-DISCOVERY-Background-on-the-Big-Bridge

"In 1843, during the first enlargement of the canal, a wooden bridge 105 feet wide was built to carry Main Street traffic across the canal. It was known by the names Main Street Bridge or the “Big Bridge.” In 1851, part of the bridge was being used as a community market. Even at the width of 105 feet, the Big Bridge left 6 feet of open canal exposed, mostly in a direct line with Main Street. In 1885, the wooden “Big Bridge” was condemned.

On May 26, 1886, construction began on a new iron Big Bridge and $10,000 was appropriated for the work. This time, the Big Bridge was 272 feet long and occupied the full width of Main Street and considerably more. At the dedication on September 1, 1852, a big celebration took place with brass bands, lavish fireworks and many speeches. The newspaper of September 2 reported 10,000 people gathered for the opening celebration.

By 1911, Lockport was widening the canal for the new Barge Canal expansion and the new Big Bridge construction was begun. The work was completed in 1914 and a historical marker was erected at the eastern end stating that it is “one of the widest bridges in the world.” The bridge measures 389 feet wide and 129 feet in length. This bridge survives still today. With high-speed automobiles replacing horse and buggies, many passersby don’t even realize that they have crossed over the fabled Erie Canal."

 
The 2 photos below look like a road, sidewalk, and parking area, but are actually photos of the topside of the Big Bridge.
 Top of The Big Bridge over the Erie Canal
Top of The Big Bridge over the Erie Canal
Top of The Big Bridge over the Erie Canal
sign - NY historic Locks
sign about The Big Bridge
sign about The Big Bridge
sign about The Big Bridge
Looking down at the locks from the Big Bridge
 Looking down at the locks from the Big Bridge
 Looking down at the locks from the Big Bridge
 Then the two RV Gypsies and their grandson walked all around this portion of the Erie Canal.
a portion of the Erie Canal  
Alex Jones
portion of the Erie Canal.
hydraulic sign
the granson of the two RV Gypsies
Lee Duquette and Alex
portion of the Erie Canal.
Lee Duquette
portion of the Erie Canal.
portion of the Erie Canal.
portion of the Erie Canal.
portion of the Erie Canal.
Alex wanted to photograph the Whiskey trash can and the E-Z Does It - Apples
Whiskey trash barrel
outhouse and apple trash barrel
look below for menu options
The sub-menu below has ten sections of Niagara Falls in the USA that you may visit in any order you choose. The page you are on is not underlined and cannot be chosen from here. There is also a link to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls below.
Bus / walking tour of the
Whirlpool Rapids & Niagara Falls
Whirlpool Jetboat video
Maid of the Mist
Cave of the Winds

Daredevil Museum and more

The Silo, Monuments, & a sailboat
Erie Canal Locks, Lockport NY
Lockport Cave/underground boat ride
Fort Niagara & Niagara Lighthouse
Three Sisters Islands
 
AFTER you have visited all of the above sections, please continue on to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side- Journey Behind the Falls & a movie of the falls from the Skylon Tower