Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
RV - AWO eyes of the two RV Gypsies
den sign for the two RV gypsies go to the home page of the two RV Gypsies
learn how Lee and Karen Duquette became two RV Gypsies
e-mail the two RV Gypsies
Please sign the Guestbook of the Two RV Gypsies. Thanks. visit pages of other RVers and favorite links helpful and important information for RVers two RV Gypsy sign
learn about Brian Duquette's tragedy
index to photos on this website
explore the photos and adventures of the two RV Gypsies in the continental USA
see the photos the two RV Gypsies took during their travels in Canada the two RV Gypsies in Alaska find out what's new on this website
get help from the Table of Contents for this website

Restaurants, an otter caught a catfish,
a 2,000 year old tree
and more in  Biloxi, Mississippi
May 2, 2015

Mary Mahoney's French House
Mary Mahoney's French House sign

Mary Mahoney's is said to serve an upscale and elegant meal in one of the South's most unique restaurants, centered around one of the oldest homes in America. There is an elegant New Orleans style courtyard under the canopy of a centuries old live oak, where for 50 years, presidents, dignitaries, celebrities, and millions of others have experienced the rich history and legendary cuisine of Mary Mahoney's.

miniature lighthouse
water fountain
sculptures
sculptures
butterfly sculpture

history bookFrench colonist Louis Frasier built this home in 1737 as an outpost of European culture on the shore of a new world. It is proudly and magnificently French, with the same high ceilings characteristic of the Vieux Carré apartments in New Orleans. Frasier built his home of hand-made brick, with wooden pegged columns of cypress. Slate for the roof came over as a ballast in the holds of French sailing ships. The brick-walled cellar is unusual in this damp region, yet it is so bone dry that previous owners have used it to store books. It now serves as a wine cellar.

The Old French House predates American independence by more than three decades. French Governor Jean Baptiste Bienville commanded the entire Louisiana Territory from his quarters here. Records are scarce, but the house remained with Frasier’s heirs until 1820. Before joining the United States with the Louisiana Purchase, subsequent residents were of varied nationalities as the colony came under French, Spanish, German and English influence. The Old French House remained a residence until 1962, when it was acquired by Mary Mahoney, her husband Bob, and her brother Andrew Cvitanovich. Great care has been taken to preserve the charm and character of this venerable landmark, with its exposed brick walls, heart-pine floors, and open fireplaces. 

When Hurricane Katrina struck on August 29, 2005, the Mahoney’s moved everything as high as they could. The 28-plus foot storm surge washed through the entire complex damaging the dining rooms, kitchen, and historical artifacts. After Katrina, the Mahoney’s were able to rebuild and reopen within 9 weeks, even though several family members suffered the total loss of their own personal homes.


(source: http://southernlagniappe.blogspot.com/2014/02/mary-mahoneys-old-french-house.html )

Patriarch sign

The tree is registered with the Live Oak Society and survived Hurricane Camille in 1969, and Katrina in 2005.

Lee Duquette at the Patriarch tree
Patriarch and sculpture

Biloxi Welcome Center

Biloxi Lighthouse

Lee Duquette and the Biloxi Visitor Center
Biloxi Lighthouse

Biloxi Light is a lighthouse in Biloxi, Mississippi, adjacent to the Mississippi Sound of the Gulf of Mexico. The lighthouse has been kept by female keepers for more years than any other lighthouse in the United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and declared a Mississippi Landmark in 1987.

Biloxi Lighthouse and neighborhood

history bookOn March 3, 1847, the United States Congress authorized $12,000 for the construction of a lighthouse at Biloxi. The United States Department of the Treasury signed a contract dated October 15, 1847, for Murray & Hazlehurst to build an iron lighthouse for $6,347.00. The keeper's house was contracted separately. The Collector at Mobile, Alabama, purchased the site. The tower was completed and placed in operation in 1848. The tower was 45 feet from the base to the lantern room and displayed nine lamps. The first keeper was Marcellus J. Howard.

In 1860 a hurricane swept the coast and destroyed some lighthouses, but not the Biloxi light. During a storm in 1860, a portion of the sand under the lighthouse eroded away, causing the structure to lean. Later more sand was removed from the opposite side to correct this. Local authorities ordered that the light be extinguished on June 18, 1861. The light was repaired and returned to service by November 15, 1866. In 1868 the tower was painted white and almost fell during a hurricane that year. The seawall was washed away and the tower threatened during a hurricane on October 1, 1893. In 1916 the light was again damaged by a hurricane. In 1927 the station was electrified.

In 1969 the keeper's house was destroyed by Hurricane Camille. The tower is now owned by the City of Biloxi and is operated as a private aid to navigation. In 2005, the lighthouse was damaged by Hurricane Katrina. Restoration was completed with a re-lighting ceremony on February 19, 2010.

upside-down man on a table

Half Shell Oyster House sign and a mural inside the restaurant

Half Shell Oyster House restaurant
mural in the restaurant
shrimp coctail and a cocktail
 

Mikey's on the Bayou restaurant

Mikey's on the Bayou sign
Bayou
shrimp, crab and cheese bread

While dining at Mikey's on the Bayou, the two RV Gypsies watched an otter catch a big catfish.

otter and a big catfish
otter and a big catfish

Then the otter swam to it's den to dine on the catfish.

otter and a big catfish
otter and a big catfish

look below
Sub-menu for the two RV Gypsies Adventures in Biloxi, MS 
You may visit these four (4) sites in any order you choose.

Downtown Biloxi and Memorials

Biloxi Shrimping Trip

Restaurants, an otter,
a 2,000 year old tree

Sharkheads store
on Biloxi Beach

look below

the next adventure of the two RV GypsiesAFTER you have seen all four (4) sites above, please continue on to Louisiana and Texas