Two RV Gypsies: Full-Time RVers
go to the home page of the two RV Gypsies
Table of Content index
learn about Karen and Lee Duquette email the two RV Gypsies sgin the guestbook of the Two RV Gypsies
Alaska visits by the two RV Gypsies
places in Canada the two RV Gypsies have visited
see countries and cruises The two RV Gypsies on cruises visit the USA sites
learn about Brian Duquette's tragedy places before 2008 Links to other RV site RV help for travelers vidoes by the Two RV Gypsies
The two RV Gypsies went to
Tybee Island Lighthouse
and enjoyed a walk on the beach
October 19, 2014
map of Georgia showing location of the lighthouse

Photos and some history provided below. If you don't like to read the history section, just keep on scrolling and enjoy the photos.

Welcome to Tybee Island sign Karen Duquette makes friends with a sea turtle

Below: Two dolphins

two dolphins

Tybee Island Light is a lighthouse next to the Savannah River Entrance, on the northeast end of Tybee Island, Georgia. It is one of seven surviving colonial era lighthouse towers, though highly modified in the mid 1800s.

sign about Tybee Island
sign about the Tybee Lighthouse

history bookThe current lighthouse is the fourth tower at this station, though neither of the its first two predecessors were lit. The first tower was built at the direction of James Oglethorpe and was constructed of wood; erected in 1736, it was felled by a storm in 1741. The following year a replacement was erected, this time of stone and wood, but still with no illumination; instead, it was topped with a flag pole. This tower succumbed to shoreline erosion.

The third tower was constructed in 1773, a brick tower originally 100-feet in height. It was first fitted with a system of reflectors and candles, but this was upgraded to oil lamps after it was ceded to the federal government in 1790. A second tower was added to the site in 1822 to form a range. Both towers received Fresnel lenses in 1857, with the lower front tower being equipped with a 4th order lens, while the main tower received a larger 2nd order lens.

Confederate forces burned the light in 1862 during the Civil War and removed the lens as they retreated to Fort Pulaski. Reconstruction of the light was begun in 1866 but was delayed by a cholera outbreak. A new tower was constructed on top of the first 60-foot of the old tower, raising the height of the whole to 154-feet. This tower was equipped with a 1st order lens. The front beacon was now a 50-foot wooden skeleton tower equipped with a new 4th order lens.

sign about the shelterinn crown lens
the lens mentioned above

history bookThe main tower was badly damaged in a hurricane in 1871, and developed such serious cracking that a $50,000 appropriation was requested for its replacement. Instead a new front tower (which had already been moved twice) was constructed of iron. New keepers dwellings were constructed in 1881 and 1885. The following year the tower was shaken by the 1886 Charleston earthquake, which damaged the lens and caused further cracking of the brickwork; these were both quickly repaired. In 1933 the tower was electrified and the station reduced to a single keeper. The beacon was automated in 1972.

Throughout its life the day mark of the tower was changed several times. Originally all-white, the base and lantern were painted black in 1887; this was altered in 1914 and again in 1916, each time bringing the black at the top further down the tower until the illustrated configuration was reached. In 1967 the whole tower was repainted with a white base and a gray top. The gray faded badly and was painted black in 1970.

In 1999 a major restoration project was begun under the auspices of the Tybee Island Historical Society, who took possession of the light station in 2002 under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. As part of this project the tower was repainted in the 1916-1966 black-white-black day mark. The beacon is still a functioning navigational aid, still using its original lens. The site is open to the public and retains its keepers houses and auxiliary buildings as well as the lighthouse tower.

historic Tybee Island Lighthouse sign
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Karen Duquette and the Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse and flags

The two RV Gypsies walked across the street to the beach and got some really great views of the lighthouse from the beach, plus some great views of the ocean.

sign about Marine debris
sign about sea turtles
sign about sand dollars
Karen Duquette and the Tybee Island Lighthouse
Karen Duquette and the Tybee Island Lighthouse
Lee Duquette on the boardwalk
the dunes
dunes
design in the sand dune
Karen Duquette and the Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse and the dunes
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Tybee Island Lighthouse
Lee Duquette on the beach an ocean vessel
the ocean and sea foam
ocean
ocean and foam
sea foam
ocean
ocean
beach and bubbles
bubbles on the beach
bubbles in the ocean
the beach on Tybee Island
Karen Duquette on the beach Karen Duquette on the beach
dunes dunes
a butterfly a butterfly
a butterfly a butterfly

A last look at Tybee Island Lighthouse from the beach.

Tybee Island Lighthouse

go back to a previous page If you came here from the 2021 - Coco's Restaurant on Tybee Island, return there now. Otherwise continue on to the main 2014 Georgia menu below.

Menu for the two RV Gypsies
in the USA State of Georgia
October 19-22, 2014
You may visit these six sections in any order.

Fort Pulaski National Monument

Cockspur Island Lighthouse

Savannah Georgia - several years

Tybee Island Lighthouse and beach (this page)

Jekyll Island 2014 and 2010

St. Simons Island and Lighthouse

choose a new page from below

go to the next adventure of the two RV GypsiesAFTER you have viewed all of the sections above, please continue on to Florida: Jacksonville, alligators, and more