Shipyard Heritage Park
Mary's Point Road, Harvey Bank, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada
|While driving to Cape Enrage, the two RV Gypsies came across the scenic Mary's Point Loop and the Shipyard Heritage Park in Harvey Bank and learned a bit of the province's proud marine history.|
|Harvey Bank Heritage
Shipyard Park is located on the Mary's Point Road (off Route 915 near Riverside-Albert).
Gaius Turner, one of the area's most prominent shipbuilders, once lived
here and the old wharf marks the site where his shipyard operated in the
mid-1800's. Approximately 20 large, ocean-going sailing ships were launched
from this yard.
In 1998, a restoration project was begun to preserve this piece of Albert County history. It involved rebuilding the old wharf (which was slated for demolition), constructing a large wooden replica of a sailing ship, and developing the grounds with an interpretive display and gardens.
The park is worthy of a visit for the spectacular
scenery, as well as informative displays on the wooden ship era.
Hollow Lighthouse - the Revolving Light - Back in the 1800's, this small
lighthouse signaled to mariners from a public wharf at Waterside Beach.
When the wharf fell victim to disuse and neglect, the lighthouse was moved
to a private property overlooking the scenic bay adjacent to Route 915,
where it sat for many years.
Then the Andersons Hollow Lighthouse was rescued from destruction once more and moved to the Old Bank Museum property on the corner of Route 114 and Route 915 in Riverside-Albert. In 2001, it was moved once more (by flatbed truck), this time to nearby Harvey Bank Heritage Shipyard Park where a wharf restoration project was undertaken in 1998 to celebrate the rich shipbuilding era that brought prosperity to the area.
|The dam across from the lighthouse spans the Shepody River and prevents the sea from flooding pasture land and hay fields. The dykelands represent a long history of man's struggle to protect land from the sea.|
Looking out at the beautiful scenery beside Anderson Hollow Lighthouse
|The first of a fleet of 18 large vessels, the Revolving Light was a unique ship that was poetically named for an innovative lighthouse function. After 27 years plying the seas, it met its demise in the cold North Sea. It is now represented as a monument to all the wooden ships built at the Shipyard Heritage Park.|
View of the marsh beside the ship monument
As the two RV Gypsies drove on Mary's Loop, they encountered lots of dirt and gravel roads.
|Suddenly, the fog set in - yet again. There has been a lot of fog while the two RV Gypsies have been in New Brunswick.|